In Jonathan Coulton’s Portal post, I find 6 things very interesting. He:
- was commissioned (I’m assuming) to write a song for a video game ($$$)
- likes the video game (is this an ad or a recommendation to his fans?)
- includes the lyrics in the post
- includes the chords in the post
- thanks the video game dev team
- recommends another game with a great theme song that
3.75 of them are for JC’s fans. He didn’t need to include any of them. Others haven’t and wouldn’t. This to me makes Coulton a far more interesting and fan-oriented musician than Radiohead simply removing the middleman.
Tonight, my iPod randomly pulled an almost-exactly-one-year-old Coulton/Hodgeman/Sound of Young America interview from my Unlistened Podast playlist. Quite good. Hodgeman even discusses Minnesota State Fair food.