After a week with the 650+ tracks in the first 2006 SXSW Showcasing Artist Bittorrent, here’s the first 10 tracks capturing my attention.
- I am Constellation by The Kingdom
Another mystical cult trying to get a recording deal to promote some bizarre religion based around a Baltimore Colts’ quarterback. I’m such a sucker for singing-in-the-round.
- Lunch for the Sky by Socratic
fun-lovin’ pop punk in the same vein as Blink 182 and Sum 41.
- Stowaway by Tullycraft
Poppy, catchy, and dorky, with background vocals.
- Studying Politics by Emery
Grinding guitar rock. Reminds me of Dokken’s theme song to Nightmare on Elm Street 3.
- El Dorado by Robyn Ludwick
Classic country tune; small town, drinking, loss.
- Walking’ on Nails by Mac Lethal
Kansas City’s version of Atmosphere.
- Exit Strategy by SSM
If Lenny Kravitz was from Detroit.
- The Other Side of Kindness by Collin Herring
If Neil Young sang for Son Volt.
- Mr. Edison’s Electric Chair by Ronny Elliott
Right up there with Tom Waits’ “What’s He Building in There?” for creepiness. The calm, peaceful retelling of the actions only make it worse.
- Pep by Polytechnic
There’s clapping, background vocals, and I’m pretty sure – a casiotone.