iTunes just asked me if I wanted to update to v7.3.2. Knowing the update is to “improve stability and performance” of features I probably don’t use, I started thinking about my ideal media player.
Features of the iTunes alternative:
- Things it can do:
- Play mp3, aac, mov
- Create ‘smart’ playlists – based on multiple attributes of a file
- Create delete files from the library from playlists – ‘smart’ or otherwise
- Read and write files and their attributes on the iPod 1
- Special bonus points for being either: open source or having a price tag on it.
- Things it can’t:
- Play streaming audio
- Rip or burn CDs
- Sell music, movies, TV shows, or games
- Download and manage podcasts
1. including the Nike+iPod workout data, though a separate app would be better.