I just got word from Josh Engelhardt over at Seattle-based Beep Repaired that he’s using the WP-iCal plugin to maintain a subscribe-able version of the Beep Repaired’s bands’ shows and events.
WP-iCal Updated by Andrew Koransky
Big thanks to Andrew Koransky for updating the WP-iCal plugin to; support WordPress 2.5.1 and greater, make it more compatible with WordPress’ admin view, and a few other excellent tweaks.
It’s been running, smooth as can be, at MNteractive.com for a while now.
More info and download at Andrew’s site
WP-GotLucky: Google Search Query Plugin Updated
Finally updated the WP-GotLucky download to the one I’ve been using, and David Seah fixed up for me.
This version has RSS feeds by default (the previous one only did email) and automatically puts the most recent search queries in your Admin Dashboard.
Dan Kuykendall’s PodPress on Behind the Mic
A while back, Dan Kuykenall downloaded my WP-iPodCatter plugin, mixed in a Flash mp3 player, some other bits and released the PodPress plugin.
He and Mike Geoghegan talk about the PodPress project in a recent Behind the Mic conversation.
Dan’s plugin is full-featured. Capital F – Full. Though he’s nicely solved a couple small problems I’ve been pondering of addressing in WP-iPodCatter, I found it overwhelming. That said, my experience with Apple’s iTunes podcast directory has been so awful all around that I have a hard time getting excited about it.
WP-PostShare – Easier Post Sharing
If you’ve seen the ‘share’ link at the bottom of the posts on the website (not so much in the RSS feed), and like the discrete ease to email, post to Digg.com, del.icio.us, etc, well, now you can have it too.
I’m making the WP-PostShare plugin available for public download.
Share and enjoy.
New iTunes Podcast Categorization and WP-iPodCatter
On Friday, I received an email from Apple’s iTunes Podcasting team that they’re changing the categories in the iTunes directory. So, I updated the WP-iPodcatter plugin to reflect these changes.
Like their removal of item-level categorization, I’m not crazy about these changes.
- There are 2 ‘Other’ categories (in Religion, Games & Hobbies). But not in any of the other categories. ‘Other’, like ‘Miscellaneous’, is an acknowledgment of an unsuccessful categorization scheme. Conceivably, ‘Other’ will have the most things in it – so filtering that category will be the challenge.
- These categories feel more like Apple trying to form and mold what’s in the iTunes directory rather than fostering what’s currently being published.
- I have no idea where to put the First Crack Podcast. Best I could do was; Business, Technology, Arts:Food. I know. Not accurate.
Then again, iTunes is a pretty worthless interface for finding podcasts, and these category revisions only make the problem worse. While doing nothing to eliminate podcasters gaming their placement with; -, –>, :: , ‘, ‘”, “”””””””””””””””””.
All podcast directories have a similar problem – trying to be the Yahoo of podcasts (hierarchical directory) rather than the Google (really good filtering). If you’re looking for good podcasts – I recommend AmigoFish or a regular web search (Google, Yahoo, etc) with “podcast” added at the end.
WP-iCal and WP-iPodCatter Reviewed
Kris Shaffer’s Web Design and Administration with WordPress article at NewsForge digs into WordPress and mentions both the WP-iCal (for calendaring) and WP-iPodCatter (for podcasting) plugins.
WP-iPodCatter Now v1.0
I’ve cleaned up a few things based on the feedback from the 0.9a version, and tweaked a couple more things. Decided “0.9” wasn’t as round a version as I’d like and v1.0 felt better.
The Biggest Changes:
– Comment-cast is now a checkbox option (there were some problems with it being supported on earlier versions of PHP)
– The non-iTunes Channel-level Category tag can now be set.
– All the iTunes categories are listed in the plugin, now more digging around for that PDF.
– all the other stuff you loved from 0.9a
Call for Testers: WP-iPodCatter 0.9a
Hey all, I could use some help testing the new version of WP-iPodCatter
Changes in 0.9a:
- All variables from the replacement wp-rss2.php file moved into the WP-iPodCatter section in WordPress admin Options tab.
- Updated wp-rss2.php file
- Support for itunes:block at an individual post level
- Support for itunes subcategories
- Support for itunes:explicit at overall podcast level and individual post level
- Enter itunes:keywords manually or use wordpress categories
- Preview cover images within WordPress admin area.
- Turn your comments feed into a podcast using the replacement wp-commentsrss2.php file
I’ve got it running on my dev box and will be migrating it to First Crack podcast in the next day or so.
If you’re interested, download the zip file at: http://garrickvanbure.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wp-ipodcatter.zip
Leave all bugs and oddities in the comments.
The WP-GotLucky plugin send you an email everytime a page on your WordPress weblog is Google’s “I feel lucky” search result.
For suggestions, comments, and all other ongoing concerns with this plugin, head over to the WP-GotLucky dedicated page